Is Rawhide safe for dogs and what is it?

Is Rawhide safe for dogs and what is it?

Rawhide is a popular chew treat for dogs that is often marketed as a way to improve dental health and provide entertainment for dogs. However, many pet owners are not aware of the potential dangers associated with giving their dogs rawhide chews. 

Rawhide is made from the inner layer of animal hides, typically from cows. The hides are cleaned, cut, and shaped into different sizes and shapes before being treated with chemicals to preserve and soften them. Once the rawhide is processed, it is often flavored with various ingredients such as chicken or beef to make it more appealing to dogs. However, it's important to note that not all rawhide is created equal, and some may be of lower quality and higher risk for dogs.

One of the main concerns with rawhide is that it can pose a choking hazard for dogs, especially if they try to swallow large pieces. This can be particularly dangerous for smaller breeds or dogs that are prone to chewing aggressively. Rawhide can also cause intestinal blockages if dogs swallow large pieces that get stuck in their digestive tract. In some cases, surgery may be required to remove the blockage, which can be both expensive and risky for the dog.
In addition to the risk of choking and blockages, rawhide can also be contaminated with harmful bacteria. This is because the manufacturing process for rawhide involves treating animal hides with chemicals, which can leave behind residue that can be harmful to dogs. If the rawhide is not properly cleaned and stored, it can also become contaminated with bacteria such as salmonella, which can cause serious illness in dogs.
Another concern with rawhide is that it can be difficult for some dogs to digest. This can lead to digestive problems such as diarrhea or vomiting, which can be uncomfortable for the dog and messy for the owner. Some dogs may also develop allergies or sensitivities to rawhide, which can cause skin irritation, itching, and other symptoms.
To avoid the potential dangers associated with rawhide, pet owners should consider alternative chew treats that are safer and more digestible for their dogs. Some good options include bully sticks, deer antlers, and nylon bones. These treats are less likely to cause choking or blockages and are less likely to be contaminated with harmful bacteria. Additionally, they are often more easily digestible and less likely to cause digestive problems or allergic reactions.
In conclusion, while rawhide may seem like a tasty and fun treat for dogs, it can pose serious dangers and health risks. Pet owners should be aware of these risks and choose safer alternatives to keep their dogs happy and healthy. 
See our blog Are Antlers Safe for Dogs
Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

1 of 3